Organisation: Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology (BUT, FIT)
Address: Bozetechova 2, 61266 Brno, Czech Republic
Contact: Dr. Vitezslav Beran (Tel: +420 54114-1281, beranv(at)fit.vutbr.cz)
- Michal Spanel (BUT, FIT)
- Zdenek Materna (BUT, FIT)
- Radim Luza (BUT, FIT)
- Jaroslav Rozman (BUT, FIT)
- Alfredo Chavez Plascencia (BUT, FIT)
- David Chrapek (BUT, FIT)
- Michal Kapinus (BUT, FIT)
The team BUTFIT1 comes from robotic research group Robo@FIT and its members are focused on research and development in image/video/depth data processing, machine vision techniques, human-robot interaction approaches, path planning, navigation and control. The resources available to the group include standard computer equipment, computational clusters, and also several robotic platforms (PR2, Pioneer 3-AT, PatrolBot, AscTec Pelican etc.).
The team members build on expertise from projects like SRS (Multi-Role Shadow Robotic System for Independent Living; TA2 – Together Anywhere, Together Anytime), where BUT developed advanced tools for HRI for service robots (PR2 or CareOBot like) and R3-COP were BUT developed and integrated into the unmanned forklift agents the modular system for environment analysis, obstacle detection, classification and tracking, reasoning and path planning for obstacle avoidance.
The BUTFIT1 team has also track in ROS (Robotic Operating System) open-source community, where we published several software components for 3D environment modelling, assisted arm navigation and grasping and stereoscopic visualization.
Although the areas of expertise of team members slightly overlap, tasks can be divided as follows. Ing. Vitezslav Beran, Ph.D., ing. Michal Spanel, Ph.D. and ing. David Chrapek will be responsible for data processing, known object detection and localization and people and obstacle detection. Ing. Jaroslav Rozman, Ph.D., Alfredo Ch. Plascencia, Ph.D. and ing. Michal Kapinus will be responsible for two arms grasping, path planning and two-arm control based on wrist torque/force sensor. Ing. Radim Luza and ing. Zdenek Materna will be responsible for arm navigation, obstacle avoidance, technical and ROS support, experiments and simulations.
The team reuses some already developed modules and scientific results, mainly from finished or running projects.
- MATERNA Zdenek, SPANEL Michal, MAST Marcus, BERAN Vitezslav, WEISSHARDT Florian, BURMESTER Michael and SMRZ Pavel. A Remote User Interface for Semi-Autonomous Robots for Elderly Care. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems. Vienna: InTech - Open Access Publisher, 2014, vol. 2014, no. 11, pp. 1-12. ISSN 1729-8806.
- VELAS Martin, SPANEL Michal, MATERNA Zdenek and HEROUT Adam. Calibration of RGB Camera With Velodyne LiDAR. In: WSCG Full Papers Proceedings. Plzen, 2014, pp. 1-10.
- HULIK Rostislav, SPANEL Michal, MATERNA Zdenek and SMRZ Pavel. Continuous Plane Detection in Point-cloud Data Based on 3D Hough Transform. Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science, 2013, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 86-97. ISSN 1047-3203.
- LUZA Radim, ROZMAN Jaroslav and ZBORIL Frantisek V. Remote Controlling of the Robotic Arm Mitsubishi Melfa. In: Informatics 2013. Kosice: Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics, University of Technology Kosice, 2013, pp. 329-334. ISBN 978-80-8143-127-2.
- ROZMAN Jaroslav and ZBORIL Frantisek V. Path planning and traversable area marking for stereo vision-based 3D map building. International Journal of Computational Vision and Robotics (IJCVR). Bhubaneswar: Inderscience Publishers, 2011, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 277-289. ISSN 1752-914X.