Organisation: Laboratory for Manufacturing Systems and Automation, University of Patras
Address: Patras 2650, Greece
Contact: Prof. George Chryssolouris (Tel: +30-2610-997262, xrisol(at)lms.mech.upatras.gr )
- Sotiris Makris (LMS)
- George Michalos (LMS)
- Stergios Matthaiakis (LMS)
- Costas Kaltsoukalas (LMS)
- Panagiota Tsarouchi (LMS)
The Laboratory for Manufacturing Systems & Automation (LMS) is oriented on research and development in cutting edge scientific and technological fields. LMS is involved in a number of research projects funded by the CEU and European industrial partners. LMS is under the direction and technical coordination of Professor George Chryssolouris.
LMS has been the leading partner in the following industrial robotics related projects:
- FP6 - MyCar project (www.mycar-project.eu), cooperating robots for handling and welding, vision based sensing and Virtual Commissioning technology, using industrial robots.
- FP7 – AUTORECON project (www.autorecon.eu), intelligent reconfiguration of mobile cooperating robots. Robot path correction logic for enabling cooperating and autonomous robots.
- FP7 - X-act project (www.xact-project.eu), Dual-arm robot for assembly in cooperation with human.
- FP7 - ROBO-PARTNER project (www.robo-partner.eu), Human robot interaction methods, planning of human robot collaborative tasks, Augmented Reality for supporting human operators, Advanced Human Robot interaction through multi modal interfaces.
Prof. George Chryssolouris is Professor of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Aeronautics at the University of Patras, Greece. He worked at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) in the USA (1980-1993). He has been a consultant for American and European government agencies and private companies (National Science Foundation, European Commission, Ford Motor Co., General Motors, Motorola, 3M, Boeing, General Electric, Kodak, Daimler Benz, BMW and others). Professor Chryssolouris has more than 400 publications in international scientific journals and refereed conferences. He is the author of two books published by Springer Verlag. He was the recipient of SME ́s Young Outstanding Manufacturing Engineer Award (1986). He was also granted the Frederick W. Taylor Research Medal by SME (2001) for his outstanding contributions to manufacturing. He was elected member of the International Institute for Production Research (CIRP) in 1993 and President of the CIRP on 2008. He received a Ph.D. (Dr.-Ing.) in Engineering from the University of Hannover, Germany (1979) and a Diploma (M.S.) in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens (1975).
Dr. Sotiris Makris is Mechanical Engineer (1998), and holder of a PhD (2003). He is leading the group of Robotics, automation and Virtual reality. He has been the Project manager of the FP7 project X-act, while he has been running the project office in FP7 project AUTORECON, the FP6 IP MyCar. He is the author of more than 60 research publications. He is an associate member of CIRP (2013).
Dr. George Michalos is a Mechanical Engineer and holder of a PhD in the area of Intelligent Manufacturing System Design and Reconfiguration. He is working as a research engineer and has been involved with a number of EU funded projects (MyCar, Futura, AUTORECON, X-act and ROBO-PARTNER).
MSc. Panagiota Tsarouchi is an Electrical and Computer Science Engineer and holder of a MSc in Automation Production Systems. She has been working in FP7 X-act and AUTORECON EU projects.
- S. Makris, G. Michalos, G. Chryssolouris, "Virtual Commissioning of an Assembly Cell with Cooperating Robots", Advances in Decision Sciences Volume 2012, Article ID 428060, 11 pages (2012).
- S. Makris, G. Michalos, G. Chryssolouris, "RFID driven robotic assembly for random mix manufacturing", Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Volume 28, No.3, pp.359-365 (2012).
- P. Tsarouchi, G. Michalos, S. Makris, G. Chryssolouris, Vision System for Robotic Handling of Randomly Placed Objects, Procedia CIRP, Volume 9, 2013, Pages 61-66.
- Makris S., Tsarouchi P., Surdilovic D., Krüger J. 2014. Intuitive Dual arm robot programming for assembly operations, CIRP Annals–Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 63, Issue 1, pp. 13-16 (2014).
- G. Michalos, S. Makris, P. Aivaliotis, S. Matthaiakis, A. Sardelis, G. Chryssolouris, Autonomous production systems using open architectures and mobile robotic structures, Procedia CIRP, 2014.