- Sven Lange (TU Chemnitz)
- Peer Neubert (TU Chemnitz)
- Daniel Wunschel (TU Chemnitz)
- Andreas Uhlig (TU Chemnitz)
- Stefan Schubert (TU Chemnitz)
Our team consists of three researchers (One PostDoc as technical lead and two PhD students) and two students currently working on their Master-Thesis in robotics. The team members specialize in different areas of robotics, e.g. image processing, sensor fusion (IMU, Vision and optical flow), 3D mapping and localization (with RGB-D- and 3D- laser-range data) with applications to UAVs and UGVs.
After working on autonomous systems for more than 15 years (UGVs, airship/blimp), we started using quadrotors in 2007 with 3 AscTec Hummingbirds. From the beginning, our research has focused on fully autonomous systems in indoor/GPS-denied environments without external sensors or computation. Since this required additional on-board sensors and computing power we got an AscTec Pelican quadrotor in 2010 because of its higher payload. The results of several projects using these UAVs with additional sensors and modifications have been published since 2009, e.g. an autonomous landing procedure by using a camera and a self-made optical flow sensor , perception with inexpensive sensors and the capability to get an instantaneous 3D representation of the environment , or in 2010, one of the first autonomous indoor flights using a Kinect on the Pelican .
More recent work focuses on robust SLAM  and on sensor fusion by using factor graphs . In this PhD-thesis, multiple sensors (IMU, feature-based vision and optical flow) are used for short-term sensor fusion in a factor graph based optimization framework, which is compared to the traditional EKF implementation. Since the tasks of the challenge are well within the focus of our past and current research efforts, we are looking forward to a stimulating competition.
- Lange, S. (2013). Factor Graph Based Sensor Fusion for a Quadrotor UAV. PhD-Thesis (in German), TU Chemnitz.
- Sünderhauf, N. & Protzel, P. (2012). Towards a Robust Back-End for Pose Graph SLAM. Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), St. Paul, USA.
- Lange, S., Sünderhauf, N., Neubert, P., Drews, S., Protzel, P. (2011). Autonomous Corridor Flight of a UAV Using a Low-Cost and Light-Weight RGB-D Camera. Advances in Autonomous Mini Robots - Proceedings of the 6th AMiRE Symposium.
- Lange, S., Protzel, P. (2010). Active Stereo Vision for Autonomous Multirotor UAVs in Indoor Environments. Proc. of 11th Conference Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems (TAROS).
- Lange, S., Sünderhauf, N., Protzel, P. (2009). A Vision Based Onboard Approach for Landing and Position Control of an Autonomous Multirotor UAV in GPS-Denied Environments. Proc. of Intl. Conf. on Advanced Robotics.
For a complete list of publications – including our work in image processing – please see www.tu-chemnitz.de/etit/proaut/publications.html.
For a visual impression, please look at our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/TUCproaut.